An Eye Drop Solution for Blurry Vision
Vuity: An Eye Drop Solution for Blurry Vision
Have you been struggling with your vision for years and you’re not sure what the issue is? Maybe you can’t see things clearly from afar, and you think that getting closer to the object might help—but it doesn’t? If so, you’re not alone. More than 826 million people around the world suffer from blurry near vision—also known as presbyopia.1 While glasses and contact lenses might help clear the blurry vision, they’re not always the most comfortable or best-looking solutions. There’s no need to worry because there are alternative solutions like the newly FDA-approved Vuity eye drops. Keep reading to learn what Vuity is, how Vuity eye drops can help your presbyopia symptoms, and how your eye doctor can help you decide if you’re a good candidate for them.
What is presbyopia?
Presbyopia is something that we all eventually experience as we age. Actually, the Greek definition of presbyopia is “old eyes.”2 It’s the aging process of the eye and can affect how clearly we see things that we’re near.2 The lens in your eyes get less flexible as you age.3 The less flexible the lens are, the tougher it is for light to properly enter the retina.3
While people can experience presbyopia at earlier ages, it usually affects people 40 years and older.2 If you are dealing with presbyopia, there are symptoms and treatment plans you can discuss with your eye doctor.
Symptoms of presbyopia
If you’re having trouble with your vision, you should consult your eye doctor. You might have presbyopia if you’re over 40 years old and are experiencing the following symptoms:2,3
• Trouble seeing things up close
• Needing to hold reading materials at arms’ length
• Headaches while viewing things up close
• Tired eyes
• Sore eyes
Your eye doctor can give you a comprehensive eye exam to help determine if you suffer from presbyopia.
Possible treatment methods for blurry vision
While presbyopia doesn’t have a cure, your blurry vision can be corrected with treatment methods.2 Some popular treatment methods are eyeglasses, readers, contact lenses, and surgery.2 However, newer treatment methods have hit the market. Lens replacement, corneal inlays, and now, Vuity eye drops have been proven to help blurry vision caused by presbyopia.2
What is Vuity?
Vuity is a daily eyedrop solution that can be prescribed to treat presbyopia symptoms in adults.4 It is the first and only FDA-approved eyedrop to help with presbyopia.5 Vuity eye drops currently comes in a 1.25 percent solution. It works by reducing the size of your pupils and by contracting muscles in your eyes to help you see up close clearly.5
Vuity’s main active ingredient is pilocarpine hydrochloride ophthalmic.4 Pilocarpine is a type of medication called miotics.6 It helps the eye flex by allowing access fluid to drain from the eye.6 Outside of being used to help treat presbyopia, pilocarpine can also help relieve pressure in the eye and decrease a gradual loss of vision.6
Are there any risks with using Vuity eye drops?
Just like any medication, there are precautions you should take when using Vuity. If you have any questions before or after you receive a Vuity prescription, you should consult with your eye doctor. Some common precautions you should know about Vuity are:5
• Do not use Vuity eye drops if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
• Do not use Vuity if you suffer from iritis—the swelling and irritation of the iris.
• Remove your contact lenses before using Vuity and wait at least 10 minutes before putting the contact lenses back in your eyes.
• If you are using more than one medication for your eyes, use them and Vuity at least five minutes apart.
• Be careful when driving or doing other activities at night or in environments that have limited lighting.
• You might experience headaches, eye redness, and other possible side effects while using Vuity.
Once you’ve discussed any questions that you have with your eye doctor, the next step is to determine if Vuity might be a great solution for your blurry vision.
Is Vuity right for you?
The best way to find out if Vuity is right for you is to meet with your eye doctor. Dr. Ansel Johnson, at Vision Salon Eye Care Associates, is one of the first eye doctors in the Chicagoland area to successfully prescribe Vuity eye drops for his patient.
During your visit, Dr. Johnson will do a comprehensive eye exam and overall analysis of your vision health and regular health to verify if you’re a good candidate for Vuity eye drops. You might benefit from Vuity eye drops if you’re looking for a simple treatment method to help your blurry vision. If you’re an adult who suffers from presbyopia, you also might benefit from using Vuity.
Want something that’s more comfortable than glasses and contact lenses but less expensive than surgery? Want an option that you can use at home without large lens covering up your beautiful eyes? Vuity might be the right option for you. Schedule an appointment at Vision Salon Eye Care Associates in Blue Island, Illinois to explore this safe and affordable option that can reduce your blurry vision.
1. Global Prevalence of Presbyopia and Vision Impairment from Uncorrected Presbyopia. American Academy of Ophthalmology. https://www.aaojournal.org/article/S0161-6420(17)33797-1/pdf. Accessed 01/07/22.
2. Presbyopia. Cleveland Clinic. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/8577-presbyopia. Accessed 01/07/22.
3. Presbyopia. National Eye Institute. https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/presbyopia. Accessed 01/08/22.
4. NDA 214028. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/214028s000lbl.pdf. Accessed 01/08/22.
5. Introducing Vuity. Vuity. https://www.vuity.com/introducing-vuity. Accessed 01/08/22.
6. Pilocarpine Ophthalmic. MedlinePlus. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682874.html. Access 01/08/22.